Wednesday, May 13, 2015

When truth isn't sexy enough, crank up the rumor mill

After announcing my withdrawal early this week from seeking an at-large seat on the Troy City Council in November, citing unexpected health issues, I received a surprisingly large number of very nice, supportive notes from people across the spectrum.

I also received what I see as an amusing message from a connected local observer, saying, "Sorry to see you leave the race. I think you would have been good on the Council. Just so you know, the rumor that's ripping around is you are getting out because you bashed Reid either on Facebook or on your blog and because of that the GOP is refusing to give you the Independence and Conservative Party lines."

That's a reference to a commentary I wrote in mid-January concerning Martin Reid, chairman of the Rensselaer County Legislature, who, as I said, "has been sucking money out of taxpayer-funded coffers under false pretenses. Essentially, he lied about his work status so he could get unemployment benefits to which he is not entitled."

You can read the whole commentary, which also deals with the reluctant attitude of new District Attorney Joel Abelove, by clicking here. What you'll find is that I'm not a lock-step party member. I have a history of independent thought, something that frightens those who put more value in labels than in thoughtful public service.

My response to the local observer:
As to rumors, in this town they are as numerous as rectal orifices. And, come to think of it, so are the morons who start them. Apparently, accepting the simple fact that someone is telling the truth is too much for them to absorb.

No comments:

Post a Comment